So, what IS the "hamster wheel"?
Have you ever watched a hamster going to town on the wheel in it's cage? (Yes, I know there are significant parallels between the hamster and all of my fellow cardio kings and queens at the Y...) Have you ever noticed what happens if the hamster tries suddenly to stop?
He ends up with his nose up his butt.
After living pretty much the last 12 years on that hamster wheel....running...running....running....and not really knowing why I'm running so hard or why I never seem to go anywhere....I made a decision 5 months ago.
I got off the hamster wheel. I resigned as registrar of the kids' soccer club. I gave up my committee co-chair position for the annual school festival. I relinquished responsibility for Election Day bake sales.
Working 50+ hours a week as a school administrator, raising two boys pretty much on my own, keeping up with an aging house seemed like commitment enough. I ran the risk of BEING committed if I continued trying to leap tall Mommy competitions in a single bound.
5 months into this new lifestyle, I've had starts and stops. I've found myself climbing back onto the wheel a few times....I haven't taken a full-fledged spin, but I've been dangerously close. I need to keep myself honest.
I know I'm not the only mom who feels this way, so I figure maybe this little blog will scare up some support for staying off of the hamster wheel in the form of some fellow recovering SuperMoms. And if nothing else, it will give me a place to affirm my own progress as I try to navigate a life of balance.
No comments:
Post a Comment